Friday, March 4, 2011

A Pulmonary Embolism Can Strike Anyone

Tennis champion Serena Williams was recently hospitalized for treatment of a life-threatening pulmonary embolus. While it may be surprising to hear about a world class athlete being stricken by a condition typically associated with inactivity, athletes can be particularly susceptible to this condition.

A pulmonary embolus is the result of a clot traveling through the circulatory system and lodging in the lungs. There it will obstruct blood flow to the lungs. These emboli usually originate in the veins of the lower extremities as a thrombosis.

Symptoms of a pulmonary embolus include; chest pain, shortness of breath, unexplained coughing and rapid heart rate. Each year 600,000 Americans suffer a pulmonary embolus and 60,000 of these patients will die.

Traveling long distances, dehydration, trauma, immobilization, oral contraceptive use and family history are all risk factors. Many of these factors are common among injured athletes.

Ms. Williams has recently had two surgeries for a foot injury and has been wearing an immobilizing brace. The event occurred shortly after a transcontinental flight. Fortunately, her condition was treated quickly with anti-coagulant (blood thinning) medications.

The best way to prevent pulmonary emboli is to stretch often when traveling, remain well hydrated and be aware of symptoms.

Pulmonary emboli can affect anyone, but a few simple steps can avoid serious injury.

1 comment:

  1. dr itua healing herbs the worst moment has passed, however, it is true that there are more improvements than before… due to the growing number of people living with hiv in the state of nevada. How could they stigmatize them all? then everything becomes a little easier and we begin to share everything... we also begin to invite each other and visit each other in community. You know, it's been six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs… however, regardless of the problems I faced, the worst moment was when my mother evicted me from the family home, my father rented me a small room. but my mother and my brothers believed that having hiv was my fault and that I deserved to be punished… I also considered myself unworthy and hopeless… but I have a son and eventually I convinced myself to live for my son reason. my mother didn't know anything [about hiv]. she didn't understand anything. You know why? she did not have [the opportunity] to leave the house and communicate with society. however, my father interacts with the community. I know that his friends are mature and dignified in Africa America. so he has a better understanding than her. my father came to call me one sad day sitting on my sofa about a friend of his from africa who introduced him to dr itua herbal cure in africa in which he advised me that we should buy his herbal medicine to cure my hiv, so we did and dr itua prescribed me that i should take the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure myself, although we were very curious about the whole thing, i finished the herbal medicine as he advised, then he told me to visit the nearest clinic for a check up i did and now i am totally cured of hiv my father was my rock and me and my family are now happy together too dr itua has been helpful in my community since he cured my hiv and tinnitus so why do i quit my story here today is to get someone here to hope in god and never give up no matter what situation you are facing especially during this pandemic season which has really taught us all how we should s help each other and appreciate each other. dr itua cures the following diseases... herpes, liver cancer, throat cancer, leukemia. , alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, cop, parkinson's, als, infectious mononucleosis adrenocortical carcinoma. bowel cancer, uterine cancer, fibroid, bladder cancer, HIV, esophageal cancer, gallbladder cancer, kidney cancer, HPV, lung cancer, melanoma, mesothelioma, multiple myeloma, oral cancer, sinus cancer, hepatitis a, b/c, skin cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, spinal cancer, stomach cancer, vaginal cancer, tinnitus, vulvar cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid cancer. you can contact dritua herbal center at email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com .www.drituaherbalcenter.com.

    ReplyDelete